Alien Bob o KDE3 i KDE4 i problemima Slackware-a sa politikom "velikih igraca"

Ovaj deo je namenjen diskusiji koja nije vezana ni za jednu prethodnu kategoriju, a tiče se Slackware linuxa

Moderator: Urednik

Elitni član
Elitni član

Post Napisano: 27 Jan 2010, 08:13

Alien Bob je na svom blogu napravio kratak pregled desavanja oko KDE na Slackware-u.

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/kde3-kd ... ware-13-0/

U tekstu se nalaze i linkovi ka paketima 3.5.10 i 4.3.1 za Slack 13

Takodje, u istom tekstu je pomenut problem koji Pat i ekipa imaju sa verzijom KDE 4.4, ali i ne samo sa njom :
KDE 4.4 is surrounded by some “political” issues involving the influence of certain big distros, which keep it from being included into Slackware in the near future. Perhaps I should talk about that in more detail, but I will spend another blog post on that.
Dodatna objasnjenja je dao u komentarima :

My remark about “politics” was indeed referring to the fact that KDE 4.4 loses functionality if it is compiled while PolicyKit is not present on the system. This is questionable, since KDE4 should be using kauth as an abstraction instead, but as it stands, kauth integration will not be ready until KDE 4.5.
In the meantime some of KDE 4.4’s components “need” PolicyKit and there is no way around it, thanks to hard-headed developers.

The whole issue with PolicyKit, and more generally the whole set of “*Kit” libraries is that not only are they pushed into Linux by the big distros while at the same time dropping support for HAL, but support for the generic UNIX authentication backend “shadow utils” is ignored in favour of PAM. This is understandable if you consider that the other popular Linux distros are all using PAM. However, if we look upon X.Org and KDE as an Operating System’s core components, then these should not be intimately tied to Linux. Instead, their developers should strive to keep their code applicable to a wider range of OS’es.
Creating a dependency on PolicyKit (which is the work of a single Redhat employee and which is unstable as hell), and DeviceKit which was written by the former HAL developer after he left the HAL code to rot, is a very bad decision in my view.

Yes, it is the issue of the big players defining the rules of the playground, and many other developers (have to) follow suit (X.Org will drop support for HAL in their future releases).

It’s not just the big distros of course. Look at the devastating entanglement of kernel, mesa, X.Org and Intel developers, who managed to keep X.Org in a pretty useless state for more than a year.

I do think that Free Software is being hi-jacked for the sake of the Big Bucks. It used to be just the Big Egos and I could live with that. Nowadays, we are being pushed in all directions, and I am speaking of Slackware of course. It is a miracle that Pat manages to maintain a stable and useable distro at all! Even with a team of helpers, Pat is the one who defines Slackware and makes it stand out in the crowd of distros that strive to look alike even if they do not admit it.

End rant. I need another Trappist now.

Eric

Note: I never stated that Slackware will not add KDE 4.4 because of these issues. I merely said that this will not happen in the immediate future. We are working with developers to get our shadow utils supported in polkit which is one way to take away the pain. Another alternative is to take the loss and add KDE 4.4 with reduced fuctionality. Look at my KDE 4.4 prerelease packages… they still offer a great desktop environment!
Bice interesantno pratiti dalji razvoj situacije, kako oko KDE tako i oko X.Org-a i podrske za HAL.
Last edited by Andersen on 27 Jan 2010, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Prijatelj foruma
Prijatelj foruma

Post Napisano: 27 Jan 2010, 13:47

Pa mogu i da preskoče taj KDE 4.4 u Slacku, ako bude potrebe, do 4.5 verzije  :-/

Elitni član
Elitni član

Post Napisano: 27 Jan 2010, 14:42

Pa izgleda da ce tako i da urade. Ne znam samo sta ce biti sa Xorg-om i podrskom za HAL, to ce biti interesantno ispratiti.
Nego.. ono sto je pocelo kao projekat entuzijasta, neprofitno, ko zna kako ce izgledati za nekih 10 godina. Kako je pocelo, malo po malo na kraju nece vise biti slobodnih sistema, ili ce biti uz ko zna kakve uslove, "dinar" se debelo umesao.